Sunday, October 14, 2007

Suddenly, I See

Lately, I find myself drawn primarily to science fiction books. Long ago, my stubborn mind must have declared this genre unworthy of my time and pretty much have avoided ever reading any. Unfortunately, bull-headedness doesn't always work in my favor.

How did I miss the fact that these stories are a logical approach to exploring the problems that accompany humanity and warning us that we'd better get it together before the machine people show up to teach us a lesson in perspective? Who knew that it makes sense to use alternate universes and the intangible future world as a means of telling stories of philosophy? Of living for the present? Of tolerance and brotherhood? Of love? All this mixed in with hints of "Will it work?" and "Does it even matter?" It's great fun, honestly! I especially like the tales involving kid heroes/heroines who find themselves with the responsibility of saving the world from the adults' poor choices.

I do realize I'm not the first person to discover this truth about science fiction; I'm really just the latest newbie to join the club. Maybe it's as simple a explanation. Maybe I plain old didn't used to give a crap about these "humanity is doomed because of our actions" issues. It's interesting - and laughable, scary, even sort of sweetly naive - how the last few years of unfamiliar life experience has completely altered what I see. I guess I always have been a bit of a late bloomer.

No comments: