Saturday, November 3, 2007

Chipped Beef on Toast?


Last night I dreamt I was giving Ben Harper a pre-concert pep talk. In the silly little dream, he was a slightly older version of himself, perhaps in his late 40s, and was feeling somewhat uninspired. I randomly bumped into him outside the small venue -- where I had, apparently, brought every single friend I've ever had -- and sensed his mood. I was overwhelmed with a sense urgency to get him cheered up. Watching him climb a tree covered with branches that looked like scaly, brightly colored snakes, I shared how much live music helps me feel like life might actually be worth living and that his concerts were the first to really give me that sense of hope, like church is for some people. He seemed to respond favorably to my pep talk; we parted ways and I went back to celebrate the conversation with my friends before waking up.

There's a great episode of Northern Exposure in which the aurora borealis is going crazy and the people of Cicely, Alaska begin having each other's dreams. One of the characters is trying to figure out the meaning of his dreams, which, of course, were being dreamt by another character. As they're attempting to analyze, someone suggests that perhaps the dreamer is all the characters inside their dream (which then gives us one of the greatest lines in television history: "I'm my mother, I'm my father, I'm chipped beef on toast?").

Wait a second, are they saying that I am an aging Ben Harper climbing a tree of crazy, rainbow snake branches while taking my own advice as to what makes my world go 'round? If so, I think it means I'm feeling pretty damned stoked to be getting myself on down to the church of Ben Harper twice in the next week.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.