Sunday, November 18, 2007

Dream Sabatoge

Sleep is like a daily reboot for the soul...it's just that, not every reboot works the first time you try it.

The other morning, I woke up from a dream in a clammy, gasping sweat. There are many inexplicable aspects of the dream I can no longer bring to the surface for examination -- probably for the best. But, I do remember sitting around the picnic bench at my folks' place, crying hysterically because the world just broke the optimistic spirit of yet another loved one. My mom was there, trying to understand and console me. When I woke up, the misery was fresh and real, lingering and disorienting.

The next night, I dreamt I was sitting at the same picnic bench with my mom. This time, we were laughing at a video I was showing to her. It was some footage of the senior citizen residence where I'd been visiting that day (in the dream). Apparently, I was leading a group of about ten white-haired ladies in a sort of salsa soul-train. We were having a helluva good time and the last part of the video showed me dancing circles around a lady while my pants fell to my ankles. Of course, I was so engrossed in my funny dance that I didn't notice where my pants went, revealing an awesome pair of saggy underpants. My mom and I were just about hysterical with laughter and were sure this video would be a hit on the internet. That morning, I woke up laughing out loud and the good mood lasted throughout the day. Now, that is more like it.

Upon a little reflection, I think I've divined the lesson to be found from these two nights of dreams: Do not, under any circumstances, dare to dream when you are so sick that your nasal passages are not free and clear. Trust me, you'll only regret it if you do.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Amen.

You might even find yourself being sung to by an aged Bing Crosby.

Or dreaming about a snake... in a vest....