Thursday, October 11, 2007

starting is the hardest part

where zen ends, ass kicking begins

So goes the quote that has been taped to our bathroom mirror for the last year and a half. The edges of the paper have long since curled to cover the purple, handwritten words. Yet, there it is, the unassuming reminder that catches my eye every now and then. Like yesterday, when it was time to come up with a clever name for this blog.

You know, I try to live with the intentions of love and peace; I try to maintain a balanced perspective on the madness of it all; I try to be zen. But honestly, how the hell did the word BLOG become a part of the vernacular? "Hello, and welcome to my blahhhhhhhhhhhhg." Seriously, folks?! I'd like to go ahead and blame the blog-word itself for keeping me from starting one until now.

But here's the deal, if one is going to label oneself a writer, then one must actually develop their writing practice. I've gotten to know myself pretty well these last thirty-something years; and I can admit that I require a little ass kicking every once in a while in order to reach my goals.

Therefore, to my blog, I say this: Zen time is over.

No comments: